Asian Development Bank – Japan Scholarship Program (ADB-JSP) provides support for graduate (post-baccalaureate) studies in ADB-approved fields of study at the University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa (UHM), and for participation in the educational, residential, and leadership development programs at the East-West Center (EWC).
The ADB-JSP was established to encourage and strengthen human resource development in ADB’s developing member countries. After completing their studies, scholars are expected to return to their home countries to apply and share their new knowledge and skills to promote socioeconomic development.
- Be a citizen of a developing member country of the Asian Development Bank.
- Have a 4-year bachelor’s degree or the equivalent of a 4-year Bachelor’s degree, at the time of application. (An equivalent could be a 3-year Bachelor’s degree plus a 1-year Master’s degree, or a 2-year bachelor’s degree plus a 2-year Master’s degree. This is subject to review.)
- Have at least 2 years of full-time professional work experience after a university degree.
- Take one of the English proficiency tests; the minimum acceptable scores are 550 for the paper-based TOEFL; 213 for the computer-based TOEFL; and 79-80 for the internet-based TOEFL; or 6.5 for the IELTS.
- Applicants living or working in a country other than his/her home country are not eligible to apply for this scholarship.
Areas of Study and Required Standardized Test Scores:
- Business Administration (Global MBA) — GMAT and TOEFL or IELTS
- Business Administration (Global MBA – Japan Track) — GMAT and TOEFL or IELTS
- Economics (MA) — GRE and TOEFL or IELTS
- Geography (MA) — GRE and TOEFL or IELTS
- Law (LLM Degree, a one-year program) — TOEFL or IELTS
- Natural Resources and Environmental Management (MS) — GRE and TOEFL or IELTS
- Ocean and Resources Engineering (MS) — GRE and TOEFL or IELTS
- Oceanography (MS) — GRE and TOEFL or IELTS
- Pacific Islands Studies (MA) — TOEFL or IELTS
- Public Administration (MPA) — TOEFL or IELTS
- Sociology (MA) — GRE and TOEFL or IELTS
- Tropical Plant and Soil Sciences (MS) — GRE and TOEFL or IELTS
- Urban and Regional Planning (MURP) — TOEFL or IELTS
A separate application (including all required supporting documents) must be submitted to the University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa for admission into a Master’s degree program.
Mail ADB-JSP application and supporting documents to:
Award Services Office/ADB-JSP
John A. Burns Hall, Room 2066
1601 East-West Road
Honolulu, Hawaii 96848-1601