Fulbright-Nehru Postdoctoral Research Fellowships are designed for Indian faculty and researchers who are in the early stages of their research careers in India. The Postdoctoral Research Fellowships will provide opportunities to talented faculty and researchers to strengthen their research capacities. Postdoctoral fellows will have access to some of the finest resources in their areas of interest and will help build long-term collaborative relationships with U.S. faculty and institutions. These fellowships are for eight to twenty-four months.
Applications are invited in the following fields only:
- Agricultural Sciences
- Computer Science (with emphasis on cyber security and digital economy)
- Education Policy and Planning
- Energy Studies
- International Law
- International Security and Strategic Studies
- Materials Science (with emphasis on environmental applications)
- Public Policy
- Public Health
- Study of India (limited to anthropology, history, sociology, and visual and performing arts)
- Study of the U.S. (limited to anthropology, history, sociology, and visual and performing arts)
- Urban and Regional Planning (with emphasis on smart cities and waste management)
- Women’s and Gender Studies
You will be affiliated to one U.S. host institution for your grant. USIEF strongly recommends all applicants to identify institutions with which they wish to be affiliated and to correspond, in ad-vance, with potential host institutions. The letter of invitation should indicate the duration of your visit, preferably with dates. If you have secured a letter of invitation from a U.S. institution, please include it as a part of your online application.
These fellowships provide round-trip economy class air travel from India to the U.S., a monthly stipend, Accident and Sickness Program for Exchanges per U.S. Government guidelines, a modest settling-in allowance, and a professional allowance. Subject to availability of funds, a dependent allowance and international travel may be provided for one accompanying eligible dependent pro-vided the dependent is with the grantee in the U.S. for at least 80% of the grant period.
Eligibility for Nehru Postdoctoral Research Fellowships
• must be a responsible Indian citizen who can contribute to a full and fair picture of the culture and civilization of India, and thereby help to promote understanding and friendship between the peoples of the United States of America and India;
• must be residing in India at the time of application. No application will be accepted from Indians residing, working or studying outside of India;
• should have a high level of academic/professional achievement;
• must demonstrate proficiency in the English language to undertake the proposed project/program and adjust to life in the U.S. The applicant may be required to take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL);
• if shortlisted for an interview, must appear in person for interview at the USIEF office in New Delhi;
• must inform USIEF well in advance if s/he needs to travel abroad (e.g. conference) during the application cycle July 2017 – June 2018;
• must be eligible for leave, if employed;
• must be in good health;
• must not be applying for or holding permanent residence (green card) in the United States; and
• must give an undertaking to return to India on the completion of the fellowship.
In addition to the General Prerequisites:
• You must have a Ph.D. degree within the past four years. You must have obtained your Ph.D. degree between July 15, 2013 and July 16, 2017. You are required to upload your Ph.D. degree certificate/provisional Ph.D. certificate in your online application;
• You must be published in reputed journals and demonstrate evidence of superior academic and professional achievement. Please upload a recent significant publication (copy of pa-per/article) in your online application; and
• If you are employed, please follow the instructions carefully regarding employer’s endorsement. If applicable, please obtain the endorsement from the appropriate administrative authority on the FNPostdoc Employer’s Endorsement Form. The employer must indicate that leave will be granted for the fellowship period.
How to Apply Nehru Postdoctoral Research Fellowships
Applications must be submitted online
Application deadline: Mid July
For details visit Fulbright-Nehru Postdoctoral Research Fellowships website