Fulbright-Nehru Doctoral Research Fellowships are designed for Indian scholars who are registered for a Ph.D. at an Indian institution. These fellowships are for six to nine months.
Applications are invited in the following fields only:
- Agricultural Sciences
- Bio engineering
- Computer Science (with emphasis on cyber security and digital economy)
- Education Policy and Planning
- Energy Studies; International Law
- International Security and Strategic Studies
- Materials Science (with emphasis on environmental applications)
- Public Policy
- Public Health
- Study of India (limited to anthropology, history, sociology, and visual and performing arts)
- Study of the United States (limited to anthropology, history, sociology, and visual and performing arts)
- Urban and Regional Planning (with emphasis on smart cities and waste management)
- Women’s and Gender Studies.
You will be affiliated to one U.S. host institution for your grant. USIEF strongly recommends all applicants to identify institutions with which they wish to be affiliated and to correspond, in advance, with potential host institutions. If you have secured a letter of invitation from a U.S. institution, please include it as a part of your online application.
The fellowships provide a monthly stipend, Accident and Sickness Program for Exchanges per U.S. Government guidelines, round-trip economy class air travel, applicable allowances and mod-est affiliation fees, if any. Selected scholars will have opportunities to audit non-degree courses, conduct research and gain practical work experience in suitable settings in the U.S. No allowances are provided for dependents. The grant is not sufficient to support family members.
• must be a responsible Indian citizen who can contribute to a full and fair picture of the culture and civilization of India, and thereby help to promote understanding and friendship between the peoples of the United States of America and India;
• must be residing in India at the time of application. No application will be accepted from Indians residing, working or studying outside of India;
• should have a high level of academic/professional achievement;
• must demonstrate proficiency in the English language to undertake the proposed project/program and adjust to life in the U.S. The applicant may be required to take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL);
• if shortlisted for an interview, must appear in person for interview at the USIEF office in New Delhi;
• must inform USIEF well in advance if s/he needs to travel abroad (e.g. conference) during the application cycle July 2017 – June 2018;
• must be eligible for leave, if employed;
• must be in good health;
• must not be applying for or holding permanent residence (green card) in the United States; and
• must give an undertaking to return to India on the completion of the fellowship.
In addition to the General Prerequisites:
• You should have done adequate research in the relevant field, especially in the identification of resources in India and the U.S. You should be registered for your Ph.D. at an Indian institution by August 1, 2016. In your online application form, one of the referees must be your Ph.D. supervisor. S/he must comment on your research work and the usefulness of the fellowship, and indicates the Ph.D. registration date and topic;
• This grant is intended for Ph.D. students to conduct research essential to their dissertations/thesis. Therefore, your expected Ph.D. thesis submission date should not be earlier than three months after your Fulbright-Nehru grant end date. For example, if May 2019 is your grant end date, you cannot submit your thesis before August 2019. Please indicate the Ph.D. registration date and the expected Ph.D. thesis submission date in the Applicant Annexure. You can download the Applicant Annexure from the USIEF website;
• If you are employed, please follow the instructions carefully regarding employer’s endorsement. If applicable, please obtain the endorsement from the appropriate administrative authority on the FNDR Employer’s Endorsement Form. The employer must indicate that leave will be granted for the fellowship period. You can download the FNDR Employer’s Endorsement Form from the USIEF website; and
• You should upload a ‘writing sample’ such as a copy of an article or paper published/presented or extracts from the M.Phil. thesis in your online application form.
Note: These fellowships are for predoctoral level research. Applicants with Ph.D. degrees or those at the final stage of Ph.D. thesis submission will not be considered
Applications must be submitted online
Application deadline: Mid June
For details visit USIEF Website