Fulbright-Nehru Fellowships are designed for outstanding Indians residing in India to pursue a master’s degree program at selected U.S. colleges and universities in the areas of
- Arts and Culture
- Management including Heritage Conservation and Museum Studies
- Environmental Science/Studies;
- Higher Education Administration
- International Legal Studies
- Public Administration
- Public Health
- Urban and Regional Planning; and
- Women’s Studies/Gender Studies.
These fellowships are for highly motivated individuals who demonstrate leadership qualities, have completed the equivalent of a U.S. bachelor’s degree, have at least three years professional work experience, and are committed to return and contribute to their communities. The fellowships are for one to two years.
- J-1 visa support;
- Round-trip economy class air travel from fellow’s home city to the host institution in the U.S.
- Funding for tuition and fees*, living and related costs; and
- Accident and sickness coverage per U.S. Government guidelines.
- * USIEF funding may not cover all costs and the scholar may need to supplement grant benefits with other resources.
- The Fulbright-Nehru Master’s Fellowships provide no financial support for dependents.
Eligibility for Fulbright-Nehru Master’s Fellowships
- must be a responsible Indian citizen who can contribute to a full and fair picture of the culture and civilization of India, and thereby help to promote understanding and friendship between the peoples of the United States of America and India;
- must be residing in India at the time of application. No application will be accepted from Indians residing, working or studying outside of India;
- should have a high level of academic/professional achievement;
- must demonstrate proficiency in the English language to undertake the proposed project/program and adjust to life in the U.S. The applicant may be required to take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL);
- if shortlisted for an interview, must appear in person for interview at the USIEF office in New Delhi;
- must inform USIEF well in advance if s/he needs to travel abroad (e.g. conference) during the application cycle July 2017 – June 2018;
- must be eligible for leave, if employed;
- must be in good health;
- must not be applying for or holding permanent residence (green card) in the United States; and
- must give an undertaking to return to India on the completion of the fellowship.
In addition to the General Prerequisites, the applicants should:
- have completed an equivalent of a U.S. bachelor’s degree from a recognized Indian university with at least 55% marks. Applicants should either possess a four-year bachelor’s degree or a completed master’s degree, if the bachelor’s degree is of less than four years’ duration
- have at least three years’ full-time professional work experience relevant to your proposed field of study at the time of application
- demonstrate experience in leadership and community service:
- must not have another degree from a U.S. university or be enrolled in a U.S. degree program; and
- if you are employed, please follow the instructions carefully regarding employer’s endorsement.
- If applicable, please obtain the endorsement from the appropriate administrative authority on the FNMasters Employer’s Endorsement Form. The employer must indicate that leave will be granted for the fellowship period.
Timeline and Placement Process
- June 15 :Application due date
- June-July: Field-specific experts review applications to short-list candidates
- Mid August: National interviews of short-listed candidates in Delhi
- End August: USIEF notifies principal and alternate nominees that they are recommended. Nominees take tests (such as TOEFL & GRE)
- September: USIEF forwards applications of recommended candidates to the U.S. for J. William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board (FFSB) approval and placement
- March-April: USIEF notifies finalists
- May-June: Pre-Departure Orientation
- July-August: Pre-academic training in the U.S. (if required)
- August-September: Degree program begins
Application Form and other details can be had from http://www.usief.org.in/Fulbright-Nehru-Fellowships.aspx