In the ANNEXURE to the University Grants Commission (Minimum Qualifications required for the appointment and Career Advancement of teachers in Universities and Institutions affiliated to it) Regulation, 2000, the following was provided in the Note to Regulation 1.3.3, 1.4.3, 1.5.3 and 1.6.1 :

“NET shall remain the compulsory requirement for appointment as Lecturer even for candidates having Ph.D degree. However, the candidates who have completed M.Phil degree or have submitted Ph.D. thesis in the concerned subject upto 31st December, 1993 are exempted from appearing in the NET examination.”

The said Note to Regulation 1.3.3, 1.4.3, 1.5.3 and 1.6.1 was substituted by the following para, vide University Grants Commission (Minimum Qualifications required for the appointment and Career Advancement of teachers in Universities and Institutions affiliated to it) (1st Amendment), Regulation 2002:

“NET shall remain compulsory requirement for appointment as Lecturer even for candidates having Ph.D. Degree. However, the candidates who have completed M.Phil. Degree by 31st December, 1993 or have submitted Ph.D. thesis to the University in the concerned subject on or before 31st December, 2002 are exempted from appearing in the NET examination. In case such candidates fail to obtain Ph.D. Degree, they shall have to pass the NET examination.”

Further, the above provision brought in to effect by the University Grants Commission (Minimum Qualifications required for the appointment and Career Advancement of teachers in Universities and Institutions affiliated to it) (1st Amendment), Regulation 2002, was further substituted by the following provision of the University Grants Commission (Minimum Qualifications required for the appointment and Career Advancement of teachers in Universities and Institutions affiliated to it) (2nd Amendment), Regulation 2006:

“NET shall remain compulsory requirement for appointment as Lecturer even for those with Post Graduate Degree. However, the candidates having Ph.D Degree in the concerned subject are exempted from NET for PG level and UG level teaching. The candidates having M.Phil. Degree in the concerned subject are exempted from NET for UG level teaching only.”

Now, the above provision shall be substituted by the following paragraph in UGC (MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED FOR THE APPOINTMENT AND CAREER ADVANCEMENT OF TEACHERS IN UNIVERSITIES AND INSTITUTIONS AFFILIATED TO IT) (3rd AMENDMENT), REGULATION 2009.

“NET/SLET shall remain the minimum eligibility condition for recruitment and appointment of Lecturers in Universities/Colleges/Institutions.

Provided, however, that candidates, who are or have been awarded Ph.D. Degree in compliance of the “University Grants Commission (minimum standards and procedure for award of Ph.D Degree), Regulation 2009, shall be exempted from the requirement of the minimum eligibility condition of NET/SLET for recruitment and appointment of Assistant Professor or equivalent positions in Universities/Colleges/ institutions.”

258 thoughts on “UGC Amendment 2009 on Minimum Qualifications for Appointment and Career Advancement of Teachers in Affiliated Universities and Institutions

1. dear sir ian 2004 m.phil completed . and 2008 dec 25 p.hd join. and 2012 june p.hd completed.iam exampected net.

• narasimham.p says:

Sir I passed in m.Phil 2014.and p.hd joined 2008 December .PhD award in June 2012. I am exempted net in ass.prof. pls reply me sir

2. dr.p.narasimham says:

• Dr. pradeepta Kumar Mishra says:

Sir, i have completed my Ph.D on 14. 08, 2004 and submitted my thesis by 30.12. 2002. whether I am NET Exempted or not for asst. professor post in Indian University

3. dr.p.narasimham says:

sir iam completed m.phil 2004. and p.hd regestered 2008 dec 25. my p.hd completed 2012 june. sir iam exampected net.so iam eligible for lecturer and ass prof. pls reply me sir

• hello sir,
      i ve also completed my m.phil in 2004 and curious about net exemption. Pls let me know the status.

4. virendra pratap singh says:

Sir i an awarded PhD 2002 without course work. I am exempted NET and eligible for Asst Prof Pl reply Me

5. Dr.Namrata Tiwari says:

sir my pH.d.digree awarded in2nd Feb .2009 ,I am exampected net

• Dr. Pooja Chaturvedi says:

Sir,

I Was awarded Ph.d in 2009 from Pt. Ravi Shankar University, Raipur in Food and Nutrition. I have not qualified NET/SET. Whetheer I am eligible for the Asst Professor advertised by MP PSC . Is there any instruction to Universities with regard to issue of Certificate for minimum standard according to UGC norms.

6. sir iam registerd for ph.d. in 2009 and ph.d. has been award in 2013.am i exempted from net slat or not

7. Veena bharti says:

Sir, I got registered for PhD on 22nd September 2004 & was awarded degree on 18th February 2008. I have been issued a certificate from my university that it is in accordance with ugc regulations 2009 out of 10 points I have cleared 6 points . Am I eligible to apply for the post of Asst. Prof.

8. Sir i have submitted my Ph D in 2002 , I am NET qualified with JRF and SRF . am i qualified for five advance increament in NCERT college .

9. G.K.Sellakumar says:

Respected Sir

I submitted My Ph.D Thesis in August 2009 and the Degree was awarded by September 2010. In the First two amendments i.e 1993 and 2002, M.Phil/Ph.D Dissertation submitted on or before 31st December1993 & 2002 respectively. But, as far as the 3rd Amendment concerned, the statement says Ph.D awarded. So, Make the statement clear, so that all sort of confusions will be cleared.

10. sonia kamra says:

Sir I hv completed phd from kuk registered in Dec 2009 with entrance exam n published two research papers in national journal n open viva voce n also exempted from course work due to regular m.phil. I m exempted from net n eligible for assistant professor post?

11. Abdur Raafi says:

Sir i had completed my m.phil 2008 in distance mode. And I joined p.hd in 2012. Shall i exempted with net gor asst professor. Kindly reply me. Thanks

12. my qualification is M.A-ECONOMICS, SOCIOLOGY, B.ED, L.L.M, WHAT I CAN Application form summitt in this post

13. my quialification is MA, ECONOMICS, SOCIOLOGY, B.ED, L.L.M, What i apply to kulsachiv/rajaypal post

14. master Apollo says:

M.phil completed in the year 2001.Whether to appear entrance or exempted from entrance for a pre PhD course work reply.

15. sir i enroled my phd in2008 .according to new ugc guidlines what is the course duration to complete phd.is it 8yrs?

16. ANIL G VINCHURKAR says:

I have been awarded PhD in engg & technology on 22/04/2016 with University notification from RTM Nagpur University.As per RTMNU direction 10 of 2011 the result of PhD is to be declared within 8 days after final viva of PhD. In my case the viva was conducted on 1/4/2016. The delay in declaration of result of 22 days has taken place by RTM Nagpur University. Therefore whether date of viva on 1/4/2016 can be taken as date of award of PhD in my case?

17. Phd registration 2006 dgree 2010 expted from net

18. Dr. Raj Bahadur Chaudhary says:

Sir, I have completed my ph.d. in 1999 and appointed as assistant professor in self finance degree college since 2007. Am I exempted form net and is eligible for assistant professor?

19. Praveen chauhan says:

I appointment in 2008 (with ph.d) as a assistant professor my promation due in 2012 but I delay one reference. Course (2015) and second reference course on time
    Than I applied both stage 2 and 3 we got both or one.

20. My registration is in september 2009.may i extempted from net.plz inform me sir

21. prasanta goyari says:

I would like to clarify my doubt whether a candidate applying for the post of assistant professor of finance.having accountancy at B.com and accounts and finance at M.com can apply for the post of finance.

22. qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq

23. Ashok Jaganathan says:

I have completed PhD in the year 2006. Will the UGC minimum standard 2009 is applicable to me?

24. Dear Sir,
    I have done 08 week course sponsored by NNRMS & ISRO at dehradun. The course is on Geospatial technology. Will this be equivalent to Refresher Course? Kindly Guide Me….

25. iiam an m.phil holder in 2005. Can i eligible for lecturer post by ugc