Indian PhD student awarded SPIE Optics and Photonics Education Scholarship
Amol Choudhary, an Indian doctorate student who is a third year PhD student in the Optoelectronics Research Centre at UK’s University of Southampton, has been awarded a 2013 Scholarship by SPIE, the international society for optics and photonics.
SPIE is a not-for-profit organization that serves nearly 235,000 constituents from approximately 155 countries, offering conferences, continuing education, books, journals, and a digital library in support of interdisciplinary information exchange, professional growth, and patent precedent. To date, SPIE has distributed over $3.5 million dollars in individual scholarships. Amol is among the 139 outstanding individuals who have been awarded a total of $351,000 in scholarships by SPIE this year. Each scholarship awarded is based on the student’s potential contribution to optics and photonics, or a related discipline.
Amol is working on the development of multi-GHz mode-locked waveguide lasers for applications in optical frequency metrology and bio-photonics. Commenting on this achievement, Amol said, “Being awarded with an SPIE scholarship is a matter of great honour for me and my country. Moreover, it will be beneficial for my current research at the Optoelectronics Research Centre as well”.
Professor David Shepherd, Director of Physical and Applied Sciences Graduate School at the University of Southampton, and Amol’s supervisor, commented, "I am very pleased to see Amol's hard work and undoubted potential recognised in this way and I'm sure that this award will be of great benefit to his future research career". This is the second scholarship that Amol has been awarded since entering higher education. In 2008 he received an Erasmus Mundus Scholarship to pursue MSc in Photonics from Gent University, the Vrije University in Belgium and University of St. Andrews in Scotland. Prior to his Masters degree, Amol completed his B.Eng in Electronics and Communications from the Delhi College of Engineering, University of Delhi, where he was also the president of the SPIE student chapter in 2007.

Find out more about Amols’ work at the Optoelectronics Research Centre
(http://www.orc.southampton.ac.uk/) at the University of Southampton. (http://www.southampton.ac.uk/)

Really nice work