The Ministry of Human Resources Development, Department of Higher Education , Government of India has introduced a scholarship scheme from the year 2008 titled “Central Sector Scheme of Scholarship for College and University Students” with the objective to provide financial assistance to meritorious students from low-income families to meet day-to-day expenses while pursuing higher studies.
The scholarship shall be awarded on the basis of the results of All India Senior School Certificate Examination (AISSCE), (Class XII) 2009.
The total number of scholarships will be divided amongst the State Boards based on the State’s population in the age group of 18-25 years, after segregating share of CBSE and ICSE on the basis of number of students passing out from various Boards in the country. The number of scholarships allotted to a Board would be distributed amongst pass outs of the Science, Commerce and Humanities streams of the Board in the ratio of 3:2:1.
The scholarships will be given @ Rs.1000/- per month at Graduation level for first three years of College and University courses and Rs.2000/- per month at Post Graduation level. Students pursuing professional courses would get Rs2000/- per month in the 4th & 5th year. The scholarships would be paid for 10 months in an academic year.
Eligibility conditions for award of scholarship are as follows:
- The scholarship shall be awarded to the Indian Nationals only.
- The student should have scored a minimum of 80% of marks in the All India Senior School Certificate Examination (AISSCE), 2009 conducted by the CBSE.
- The Undergraduate /Professional /Degree courses are pursued as regular courses, (not correspondence or distance mode) in recognised educational institutions in India and not availing of any other scholarship scheme. The scheme is applicable to all categories of students both ‘general’ and ‘reserved’.
- The student should belong to non-creamy layer. Income ceiling for ‘non –creamy layer’ is 4.5 Lakhs per annum.
- The reservation of various categories are: SC 15% , ST 7.5%, OBC 27% and horizontally 3% for Physically Handicapped.
The detailed guidelines along with the application form regarding “Scheme of Scholarship” and “Instructions for CBSE Candidates” of this scholarship scheme may be seen in the Board’s website www.cbse.nic.in or MHRD’s website www.education.nic.in
The CBSE students who fulfill the eligibility conditions are requested to send their application in an envelope superscribing “Central Sector Scheme of Scholarship for College and University Students-2009” duly complete in all respect, immediately to Deputy Secretary (Admn. & Vigilance), Scholarship Unit, Central Board of Secondary Education, 2 Shiksha Kendra, Community Centre, Preet Vihar, Delhi-110092.