Microsoft Research India PhD Fellowships support PhD students at Indian universities while they pursue doctoral education in computer science and related areas. The fellowships are awarded after a rigorous selection process that includes application, letters of reference, and selection by a panel of leading researchers.
About the Fellowships
For each academic year, Microsoft Research India awards five PhD Fellowships.
* The award comprises a monthly stipend that will be disbursed to the awardee over a maximum period of four years. This monthly sum can be used for tuition, books, stipends, and/or any other expenses.
* Each PhD Fellow receives a laptop computer and a separate sum of Rs 2,50,000 (rupees two lakh fifty thousand only) for travel to conferences and seminars during the term of the Fellowship.
* Each Fellow will be invited to various events conducted by Microsoft Research and will have the opportunity to interact with researchers at Microsoft Research India.
* The Fellowships are open to PhD students who are enrolled at an Indian university.
* Beginning PhD students through students in the third year of their PhD program are eligible to apply.
* Eligible students must be enrolled in computer science, electrical engineering, electrical/electronics communication engineering, mathematics, or a field that closely relates to computer science.
How to Apply
* Sign up to create online application.
* Complete the required fields in the online application form.
* Each applicant must also submit the following:
o Research Statement of Purpose (maximum 500 words)
o Email addresses of three reference writers
* You can log in later to upload the Research Statement of Purpose and provide email addresses of your reference writers.
Applications must be completed by Sunday, April 17, 2011, 11:00 P.M. Indian Standard Time (10:30 A.M., U.S. Pacific Time).
How to Upload Reference Letters (for Reference Writers)
* If an applicant has submitted your email address as a reference writer, you will receive an email message from “MSR India PhD Fellowship Application System” requesting the reference letter. (You may need to check your junk email folder.)
* The email message will contain a link to the application system website. When you use the system for the first time, click the “Reset your password” link to have a password emailed to you.
* You will receive an email message from “CMT Password Assistance” with your password. (You may need to check your junk email folder.)
* Once you receive your password, you can log in to the application system by using your email address and the password you received.
* Upload your reference letter in .doc, .docx, or .pdf format.
* You can return to the system and change or delete any reference letter(s) that you have uploaded.
Completed reference letters must be uploaded by Sunday, April 17, 2011, 11:00 P.M. Indian Standard Time (10:30 A.M., U.S. Pacific Time).
Announcement of 2011 Microsoft Research India PhD Fellows: Monday, May 16, 2011.
For details visit http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/collaboration/global/india/phdfellowships.aspx