Wellcome Trust/DBT India Alliance invites for Biomedical Research Fellowship Programme 2011 for India. This scheme supports outstanding researchers of any nationality, either medically qualified or science graduates, who wish to pursue a research career in an academic institution in India. Applicants must have demonstrated their ability to lead an independent research project and group.
You should normally have between seven to twelve years of post-PhD or equivalent clinical research experience. It is not essential for medical or veterinary degree holders to have a PhD. Due allowance will be given to an applicant whose career has been affected for personal reasons.
Applicants for the Senior Fellowship typically have a substantial record of publications and would have made significant intellectual contributions in their chosen area of research. Supervision of students and extra mural funding are also positively considered.
Candidates need not be Indian nationals or of India origin but must already be pursuing or intending to pursue an academic research career in India.
You may apply even if you already hold another Fellowship. However, please note that if awarded, you will be required to make a choice between your current Fellowship and the India Alliance Fellowship. The India Alliance does not permit Fellows to overlap their India Alliance Fellowship with any other national or international Fellowship.
The Fellowship must be started within one year from the point at which the decision has been communicated, typically a week after the interview.
You must have an eligible sponsoring host institution in India and an eligible Sponsor. The host institution Sponsor:
* must have a contract of employment with the institution with tenure beyond the duration of the proposed fellowship. It is typically the head of sponsoring department/ institution and someone who can guarantee space and resources for the tenure of the award.
* should provide a letter if support that includes:
1) if an award is made, you will be granted the status and prerogatives of other academic staff of similar seniority
2) that you will not have to spend more than eight hours per week on activities unrelated to the fellowship (e.g. teaching duties)
It is not mandatory for you to have a sponsor at the preliminary application stage, but if invited to make a full application you will have to provide information from and about your Sponsor.
* You should complete and submit a preliminary application form by the published deadline.
* Completed forms should be sent to email@example.com.
* If your preliminary application is viewed positively, you will be invited to submit a full application. Candidates will be notified in writing.
Preliminary application deadline: 12 May 2011
For details visit http://www.wellcomedbt.org/senior-fellowships-Deadlines.html