Ministry of Culture, Govt of India offers schemes for Scholarships to Young Artists in Different Cultural Fields. This Scheme seeks to give assistance to young artists of outstanding promise for advanced training within India in the field of Indian Classical Music , Indian Classical Dance, Theatre, Visual art, Mime Folk , Traditional and Indigenous Arts and Light Classical Music.
Total Number of Scholarships 400
Subjects/ Fields in which Scholarships can be awarded
(1) Indian Classical Music
Classical Hindustani Music (Vocal and Instrumental ) Classical Carnatic Music (Vocal & Instrumental etc.)
(2)Indian Classical Dance/ Music
Bharatnatyam, Gaudiya Nritya, Kathak, Kuchipudi, Kathakali, Mohiniattam, Odissi Dance/ Music, Manipuri Dance/ Music, Thangta, Kathakali, Chhau Dance/ Music, Sattriya dance.
Any specialized aspect of theatre art, including acting , direction etc. but excluding playwriting and research.
(4) Visual Arts
Graphics, Sculpture, Painting, Photography, Pottery & Ceramics etc.
(5) Folk , Traditional and Indigenous Arts
Puppetry, Mime, Folk Theatre, Folk dances, Folk Songs, Folk Music etc.( An indicative list can be seen at para X-note)
(6) Light Classical Music
(a) Thumri, Dadra, Tappa,Qawali, Ghazal,
(b) Light Classical music based on Carnatic Style etc.
(c) Rabindra Sangeet, Nazrul Geeti, Atulprasad
Duration and Term of Scholarship
The duration of scholarship will be two years.
The nature of training will be determined in each case after taking into consideration the previous training and background of the scholar. Normally, it will be in the nature of advance training under a Guru/ Master or in a recognized institution.
The Scholar will be required to rigorous training. Such a training will include minimum of three hours a day for practice alone apart from the time spent for acquiring knowledge of the theory of the subject/field concerned and also an appreciation of the related disciplines.
Each scholar will be paid Rs. 5000/- per month for a period of two years to cover his/ her living expenses on travelling, books, art material or other equipment and tuition or training charges, if any.
Conditions of Eligibility
(a) Candidates should be Indian Nationals;
(b) Candidates should have an adequate general education to pursue their training effectively;
(c) Candidates must give evidence of their desire to make the pursuit of their training effectively;
(d) As the scholarships are meant for advanced training and not for beginners, candidates must have already acquired a degree of proficiency in the chosen field.
(e) The candidate should have undergone a minimum of 5 years training with their Guru/Institutes. The Certificate to this effect in Part II of the Proforma duly signed by the present Guru / Institute and former Guru/ Institute (if any) should be submitted along with the application;
(f) Candidates should have an adequate knowledge in the connected arts/ disciplines.
(g) The candidate’s age should not be less than 18 years and not more than 25 years as on 1st April of the year in which the application is being made. Age relaxation is not permissible.
Documents to be submitted with application
Following documents are required to be submitted along with the Application in response to the advertisement:
(1) One attested copy of each degrees, diplomas and certificates, etc. if any, in support of statement made regarding education qualifications, experiences, etc. in the application. In no case should the original documents be attached.
(2) One attested copy of the Matriculation or equivalent certificate, if any, or other satisfactory evidence of age (other than horoscope).
(3) One passport size recently taken photograph, the candidate applying for dance should send, in addition, three photographs in costume in full form in actual different dancing poses.
(4) In the case of candidates applying for scholarships in the field of Painting, Sculpture and Applied Arts, they are required to send attested copies of photographs of the size original works alongwith their application duly attested by the Supervisor/Head of the Institution and incase of Music one audio cassette of the applicant’s recording should be attached with the application tightly with a tag. The minimum qualification for Visual Arts is Bachelor of Fine Arts or equivalent.
(5) Application duly completed should be forwarded to the Section Officer, S&F Section, Ministry of Culture, NAI Building Annexe, Second Floor, Janpath, New Delhi – 01 (incomplete application or application received after the prescribed date will not be considered.
(6) Separate application should be submitted for each field, if the candidate wants to apply for more than one field.
(7) As the scholarships are awarded for advanced training, the candidates should have undergone a minimum of 5 years training with their Guru/Institutes. The Certificates to this effect in Part II of the Proforma duly signed by the present Guru/ Institute (if any) should be submitted alongwith the application.
1. Candidates recommended as a result of preliminary selection will be required to appear for an interview /performance before an Expert Committee. The selection will be made purely on merit.
2. The Rules etc. above are subject to change at the discretion of the Government.
3. No enquiry will be entertained regarding the result of the selection of candidates for award of scholarships. However, candidates will be informed of the result after the final selection has been made.
4. No request for return of the application etc. will be entertained.
5. Results of the selection will be communicated to the selected candidates after the final selection.
6. Any changes in the address may be notified to this Ministry. While doing so the subject of training for which application was sent should invariably be given.
7. For any future correspondence, the candidate MUST give the following particulars:-
(a) Name of the Scheme. (b) Name of the candidate in block capital letters.(c) Subject/Field of training. (d) Registration Number, if communicated to the candidate.
Last date to submit application form: 31-12-2010.
For details visit: http://indiaculture.nic.in/indiaculture/youngwrks.htm